- Discover the joys of cooking the delectable dishes of Portugal’s culinary heartland assisted by a renowned and inspiring local chef
- Relax and dine on the dishes prepared during the cooking lesson, accompanied by excellent local wines
- Sample great red wines in the ‘adega’ of a typical Alentejo winery
- Discover historic Evora, the evocative capital of Alentejo
- Enjoy the beautiful and serene surroundings and take advantage of the warm climate
If you would like to read what our travellers wrote in their own words, please click
The Alentejo in Portugal offers great scenic beauty with its rolling countryside full of cork oaks, olive trees and vines. The hills, sometimes small mountains, are frequently crowned by mighty castles. Notwithstanding its appeal, the Alentejo remains unspoilt; it has not been discovered by mass tourism.
You will be seduced by the culture of its hospitable people and its magnificent cultural heritage – there are numerous splendid historical towns like Marvão, Estremoz, Portalegre, Vila Viçosa, Borba, Monsarraz, Elvas and Évora-Monte.
We think the Alentejo is one of the last secret treasures for travellers exploring the cultures of Europe.
In terms of food one should not miss the local gaspachos, the carne de porco alentejano (pork and clams cooked together) or the empadas de galinha (small chicken pies).
The red wine is some of the best Portugal has to offer, as reflected in its success in international competitions. They range from soft and plummy – a great match with black pork – to those with an intense ripe fruity bouquet. Grape varieties commonly used here are Trincadeira and the Aragonez, better-known abroad as the Tempranillo.
In contrast, the whites tend to be fresh but very aromatic. The main white grape variety here is Roupeiro. The white wines are also increasingly gaining their deserved international recognition.
Evora is the capital of Alentejo. This is one of Portugal’s most delightful cities, and its historic centre has been declared as a world heritage site by Unesco. It has many beautiful buildings and is very atmospheric during both the day and the night.
Our cooking class will be held in the centre of Evora, where you will also be staying.
The cuisine here is wonderful – you will be taught real Portuguese Alentejo cooking by an experienced chef – with an emphasis on local produce and flavours. You will also visit an excellent local winery situated in the undulating countryside near to Evora. You’ll also have time to explore on your own, potter around the local shops and laze by the pool of your hotel.
You will be staying in an atmospheric 4-star hotel in the centre of Evora within the old city walls. The rooms are very comfortable, decorated in cool, calm tones.
Most rooms benefit from picturesque views – of the pool, gardens, medieval walls or the old town. Some rooms have their own private terrace, however, all rooms have air conditioning.
The property has extensive gardens and a large swimming pool.
The cooking class will be conducted in the kitchen of the restaurant of the hotel.
- Our gastronomic breaks are available throughout the year, except the month of August
- Minimum number of guests: 2
- To check availability for specific dates, please get in touch
The price for an all-in 2 days (1 night) gastronomic break:
- 195 Euro per person
- 50 Euro single room supplement
What is included:
- 1 night accommodation
- 1 breakfast
- 1 cooking lesson – including aperitif/wines and soft drinks
- 1 dinner – including wines and softdrinks
- 1 tour & tasting at winery
- English / Portuguese speaking translator during cooking class
- recipes of the dishes prepared during cooking lessons
By far the closest airport is Lisbon. Evora is about a one hour drive from Lisbon.
There is an excellent motorway from Lisbon to Evora, which makes for a relaxed and beautiful ride.
Arrival and departure transfers can be easily organised.
Paladares Travel does not offer flights or car rental services. We suggest you to book directly with one the many companies offering such services. However, if would like Paladares Travel to assist you in making arrangements please let us know.
If you wish to book your flights directly, we kindly refer you to http://www.flytap.nl, the website of TAP Portugal.
TAP Portugal is Portugal’s national airline; they are known for their reliability and good level of service. TAP has frequent connections to various cities in Portugal, from Amsterdam, Brussels and London.
Alternatively there are many other companies offering flights. Booking early can be very advantageous..
- Arrival in Evora, check-in at the hotel in the afternoon preferably around 16.00 or earlier.
- Classes are held in the late afternoon, beginning with a welcome drink and a short discussion of the ingredients which will feature in the day’s menu.
- Dishes may include: Escabeche de atum (pickled fresh tuna), Sopa de abóbora (pumpkin soup,) Sopa de cação (dogfish soup ), Carne de porco Alentejano (pork and clams cooked together) Peixe-pescador com grao-de-bico (monkfish with chickpeas), Pasteis de Santa Clara (St. Clara turnovers), Encharcada (typical sweet of the convents).
- Your chef will be Antonio, a native of Alentejo from Beja. He has been head chef of the restaurant since 2002. Since then he has become well-known in Portugal for his distinguished Alentejo cooking.
- He has won a number of Portuguese awards, co-wrote a cookery book and acted has a cooked on TV, all of which has added to his fame and that of the restaurant.
- After the cooking lesson there will be time to relax and enjoy the splendid surroundings, by strolling around the hilltop town or by lounging by the pool for example.
- Dinner with accompanying wines will be served in the charming restaurant of the hotel.
- Buffet breakfast.
- Check-out of the hotel.
- A visit to an excellent local wine producer in the morning, a pleasant 20 minute drive from Evora. There will be a tour of the beautiful quinta of this small scale wine producer, which will also include a viewing of the modern art gallery of the winery.
- Your visit, and your short break, will be concluded with a tasting of their signature wines.